[nSLUG] Bell Aliant FibreOP and Linux router

Will Haggerty will at haggerty.co
Sat Oct 12 08:57:23 ADT 2013

Hey there!

My household recently switched to FibreOp and I have been doing some
searching for much the same answers. So far I have come up with a few very
good resources.

The FibreOp infastructure uses VLANs to connect to Bells services. I am
still a bit of a networking newb, but from what I can tell, this is not a
big issue if the router you are using can "tag" the traffic. This link here
is a better descriptor than what I could ever type:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=134496&page=6

The equipment they will install is different from Eastlink's. The fibre
comes in and connects to an ONT (Optical Network Terminal) this looks like
a router that just has a fibre WAN port. It also has a battery backup unit
(external) for the built-in telephone jack. This then connects to the
ActionTec router that Bell provides. This is the device that actually
requests and receives an external IP. There are people who have found a
suitable replacement and even published alternate firmware for an ASUS
router. This info can be found here:
http://digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?s=7f9d24621eadb1fa1c0ad09aadfd4f14&t=148062

There is a little more work to do that with Eastlink's services, but in the
forum links there is a lot of information on what others have done. I
myself have not replaced the provided router because I do not have the
right equipment and have not had time to truly play around.

Will