[nSLUG] bash "antiquate" shell script

Jack Warkentin jwark at bellaliant.net
Tue Oct 8 18:29:01 ADT 2013

Hi Everybody

At last evening's nSLUG gathering at the Dal Computer Science building,
I briefly presented a recursive shell script I wrote called "antiquate".
It implements a simple file versioning system.

I should have mentioned last night that the original idea for this was
not mine. I got the idea from Mike Cuddihey, a guy at Bell Northern
Research with whom I worked for roughly six months back in the mid
1980's. He had implemented it (recursively) in a scripting language that
was part of IBM's CMS (or VM/SP, to be more precise) operating system.
Some years later, I wrote a UNIX version, but that was lost long ago. I
reimplemented it recently because I was writing long html pages, and
needed a way of recovering if something I added to existing working code
didn't work.

The script (attached) is fully documented. However, if some wants more
explanations, just send me an email.

Frank Geitzler also asked about an alias I used called remcomb. What it
does is, remove all blank lines and lines beginning with a # sign from
any text file. I used it last night to pull out the code for "antiquate"
from the much longer comments. It is the following alias.

alias remcomb="sed -e '/^[ 	]*#/d' -e '/^[ 	]*$/d'"

remcomb means remove comments and blanks.

Regards

Jack

Jack Warkentin, phone 902-404-0457, email jwark at bellaliant.net