[nSLUG] Re: Mouse Tach Update

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Fri Nov 29 03:41:07 AST 2013

The list has been slow so here's a wash-dog-first bit with alleged
entertainment value and tangential relevance to Linux.

Another belated thought about the widget that counts and times our pet
mouse's exercise wheel:

The script does:

   use Time::HiRes qw(gettimeofday);
   [...]
   ($sec, $usec) = gettimeofday();

returning seconds and microseconds since epoch.

It produces data that looks like this:

    13777514397
    13784630262
    13785686238
    13807465822
    13808625795
    13809681772
    13810893749
    13812053727
    13817589623
    14730515943
    14732363895

I wonder if I have a nice little analog random number generator here?

The last two digits, abstracted from such data, seem to be uniformly
ditributed, i.e. there's approximately the same number of each digit.

Are there some tests, easy-to-use and not requiring multi-megs
of data, to determine if these numbers have hidden patterns or are, you
know,  *randomly* random? :-)

I have the DIEHARD package but it isn't all that easy to use and, in
any case, wants a 10- or 11-meg file for input. I have maybe 500K of
last-two-digits data.

- Mike

PS: Is the meet on for Monday, 2 Dec.?  4th floor at Dal?

                                                           /V\