[nSLUG] More info about the talk on Dec 2nd?

Karl Vollmer vollmer at ampache.org
Mon Nov 25 11:05:14 AST 2013

Ahh - yes didn't specifically state that, kept it nice a vague always
scary sending to those giant mailing lists....

It will be an "intro to the tools".  The skills/knowledge you should
have to get the most out of the talk would be

- Basic understanding of Certificates (those things you have to sign)
- Basic understanding of any programming language (really just
understanding of logical structure and maybe that "things have
syntax")
- How to use virtualbox / some other VM software

My objective is to provide at least 2 vms (server/client) for download
after the presentation with pre-setup environments and a few
'examples'... I haven't finished those yet so I'm not guaranteeing it.
Command line experience would be good, but not required to at least
get something out of the talk.

Really I'm going to be focusing on how I've shifted from a "edit this
config file" style of systems administration to a more programmatic
approach to systems administration where a "coder" writes a logical
definition which is applied to systems. This bring systems
administration into the application development world where we have
version control, bugs, dev,test,stage,prod envs etc etc etc.

Puppet has been in place on ~300 physical linux boxes that I manage
for N&S @ Dal for about three years, Foreman over the last year and a
half or so.

Does that answer your question(s)

-Karl