[nSLUG] Foolproof way to print PDF's?

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat May 4 09:21:14 ADT 2013

I had a look at
magnolia_tour_2013.pdf:<http://celebratingmagnolias.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/magnolia_tour_2013.pdf>

$ pdfinfo magnolia_tour_2013.pdf
Title:          magnolia_tour_2013
Author:         Trish
Creator:        CorelDRAW
Producer:       Corel PDF Engine Version 3.0.0.667
CreationDate:   ��
ModDate:        ��
Tagged:         no
Form:           none
Pages:          2
Encrypted:      no
Page size:      612 x 1008 pts
Page rot:       0
File size:      1423223 bytes
Optimized:      no
PDF version:    1.3
$ pdffonts magnolia_tour_2013.pdf
name                                 type              encoding         emb
sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- ---------------- ---
--- --- ---------
$ pdfimages -list magnolia_tour_2013.pdf
page   num  type   width height color comp bpc  enc interp  object ID
   2     0 image     235   290  cmyk    4   8  jpeg   no        16  0

This is a very simple PDF that just contains one small image on page 2.
Evince gives a couple "failed to look up ..." messages, but ghostscript
9.06 failed to display the CMYK image on page 2.
GS9_Color_Management<http://ghostscript.com/doc/current/GS9_Color_Management.pdf>has
a CMYK image on page 15 that displays in 9.06.  I'm not sure if there
is a bug in gs9.06 or in the PDF file.  What exactly was the problem when
you printed the file from linux?

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM, Jack Warkentin <jwark at bellaliant.net> wrote:

> Hi Everybody
>
> Every once in a while I come across a PDF file which I can view on-screen
> perfectly on my Debian Wheezy system with several different PDF viewers,
> including gv, epdfview, and xpdf. But *none* of these prints the file
> successfully. A case in point can be found at
>
> http://celebratingmagnolias.**files.wordpress.com/2010/04/**
> magnolia_tour.pdf<http://celebratingmagnolias.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/magnolia_tour.pdf>
>
> On the other hand, when I fire up my Windows XP virtual machine, I can
> print it perfectly with Adobe Acrobat.
>
> I find this very frustrating. Any ideas, anyone?
>
> Regards
>
> Jack
>
> Jack Warkentin, phone 902-404-0457, email jwark at bellaliant.net
> 39 Inverness Avenue, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3P 1X6

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia