[nSLUG] Foolproof way to print PDF's?

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri May 3 10:20:53 ADT 2013

Normally pdf2ps only rasterizes fonts.   It could be useful just to see if
GS can handle the PDF file, but I don't think pdf2ps adds much value unless
you are using a very old PostScript Level 2 printer, and even then a PC
built this century. should render the PS code faster than the printer.
Generally you want to send PDF to the printer if it works, and a rasterized
version if that fails.   CUPS handles the details of rasterizing each page
and sending it as part of a single job.

There is also pdftops from the pdftools (xpdf or poppler).

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 9:40 AM, Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca>wrote:

> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 8:21 AM, George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> <snip>
> Good info
>

>> PDF (and PS) files that require enhancements not supported by your
>> printer can be printed as bitmaps after being rendered on your PC.
>>

> In this case would pdf2ps force the render and fixup any issues?
>
> --
> sg

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia