[nSLUG] How to save video?

Jack Warkentin jwark at bellaliant.net
Thu May 2 16:16:24 ADT 2013

Hi Daniel

I don't have adobe flash player on my machine (it can be used for
tracking web usage) so I couldn't view your interview. However, I have
had some success in the past in finding jpeg's and gif's in the
following manner. I use seamonkey on my Debian system.

(Note: my prompt string is simply '$ '.)

$ cd ~/.mozilla/seamonkey/k2q9ll38.default/Cache
$ find . -type f -mmin -1
./_CACHE_002_
./_CACHE_003_
./_CACHE_001_
# The _CACHE_* files are binaries, not useful.
$ find . -type f -mmin -2
./_CACHE_002_
./_CACHE_003_
./_CACHE_001_
$ find . -type f -mmin -3
./_CACHE_002_
./_CACHE_003_
./_CACHE_001_
$ find . -type f -mmin -4
./_CACHE_002_
./_CACHE_003_
./_CACHE_001_
$ find . -type f -mmin -5
./_CACHE_002_
./_CACHE_003_
./4/C8/4F9E8d01
./9/31/EA6A9d01
./D/B1/4DFAAd01
./_CACHE_001_
./7/09/42AF2d01
./0/D5/E44D0d01
# Aha, found some candidates.
$ file ./4/C8/4F9E8d01
./4/C8/4F9E8d01: JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01
$ mirage ./4/C8/4F9E8d01 & # look at the image
[1] 28141
$
[1]+  Done                    mirage ./4/C8/4F9E8d01
$ file ./9/31/EA6A9d01
./9/31/EA6A9d01: Macromedia Flash data (compressed), version 9
$ file ./D/B1/4DFAAd01
./D/B1/4DFAAd01: Macromedia Flash data (compressed), version 8
$ file ./7/09/42AF2d01
./7/09/42AF2d01: JPEG image data, EXIF standard
$ file ./0/D5/E44D0d01
./0/D5/E44D0d01: GIF image data, version 89a, 300 x 250

In other words, go to where the web browser stores its cache and then
look for the most recently changed ordinary files. Once you have found
the file or files you are interested in, save it to wherever you want
it. YMMV.

Hope this helps

Jack

Jack Warkentin, phone 902-404-0457, email jwark at bellaliant.net