[nSLUG] Ubuntu unpredictable 'Top Panel' changes

Frank Geitzler frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca
Wed May 1 13:10:13 ADT 2013

Thanks, Gerald.  The mail 'icon' to which I referred is actually the
entry to a drop-down list containing the following lower-level entries:
      * Chat
      * Mail
      * Compose New Message
      * Contacts
      * Inbox
      * Set Up Broadcast Account
It does not disappear after some period of time -it just disappeared one
single time, a few days ago -and that is what concerned me -I don't like
random unexplained events.
I do need to upgrade -but I prefer the Ubuntu Gnome desktop rather than
the newer Ubuntu Unity desktop.  I realize that it is possible to issue
a few commands to re-enable the Gnome desktop, but just haven't decided
to do that yet.  I might try it out on a spare computer before I do it
on my primary (laptop) computer.   I will take your suggestion of
switching to linuxmint under advisement, but am not yet ready to make
major changes.  I have some other things I need to take care of first
-and I do like to procrastinate...
As for the shutdown icon, I bypassed that problem some time ago by
moving another shutdown icon to the top bar.  That icon is a red square,
with the shutdown symbol in white, rather than the standard black (or
transparent) square on the black top bar.  The red one has never
disappeared, it doesn't matter whether the black one does or not.
Besides, the red one lists the choices in what I consider a more
appropriate order
      * Shut Down
      * Restart
      * Suspend
      * ...
...rather than
      * Lock Screen
      * Guest Session
      * Switch from ...
      * Log Out
      * Suspend
      * Hibernate
      * Restart
      * Shut Down
I almost never use anything except the first two choices on the red
shutdown icon -which would be the last two choices on the list of the
black icon.  Much more useful to me.
Frank