[nSLUG] [nslug at fop.ns.ca: Re: Raid enclosures?]

Rory rory at unixism.org
Wed May 1 09:12:50 ADT 2013

On a loosely related note: I always prefer to use enclosures that don't
perform their own RAID, but expose each of the disks so that the host
system can handle RAID.

This way I can happily create my own inscrutable and confusing mess of
RAID+LVM+DeviceMapper :) This has the additional benefit of confidence
that I can transfer all my disks to another box if/when the current one
goes pointy-side-up and all will be correct. It's hard to have that same
confidence in unknown firmware that does the RAID for you.

The only decent alternative is the more expensive enclosure/NAS devices
from the likes of Synology or QNap. These run Linux, have a bit of a
hacker community around them, and are generally pretty customizable.

- R