[nSLUG] Linux fragmentation?

Joel Maxuel j.maxuel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 16:01:05 AST 2013

I would have to agree that Linux's future is in the end of the desktop.  I
see Apple limiting their PC offerings (and touting the range of
iPod/iPhone/iPad in its place).  Microsoft made a very bold move in turning
the lion's share of Windows into a mobile OS, yet to see if they have
actually shot themselves in the foot with it.  Even Ubuntu has pushed Unity
to make the experience more friendly for the tablet user.  I guess the
obvious indicator would be to see OSX and iOS coalesce.

But there's a factor about fragmentation (which de Icaza discusses as a
disaster).  I moved to Linux (twice) for more than not just wanting to have
to pay for an OS.  I am here because of choice.  With Windows or OSX,
choice lies in not upgrading to the next version, to avoid an unwanted
feature.  However, this can be short lived as newer software versions often
require newer OSes.

I had Windows XP at the time of the second migration.  (I only stopped
having Linux in even a dual boot situation when my main PC fried - I
cobbled together another that had a small HDD and a video card /w tuner
that Linux didn't support, forcing me to choose.)  I found XP bloated, yet
was on the market for 5 or more years.    I kept up with Linux with VM's
when I had the hard drive space to do so, and noted how small the disk
image was, that I figured it was time to repartition.

Choice becomes how much you want to change our experience.  The first thing
I did was ditch GNOME as I was a heavy KDE user for years.  To have that
many options, fragmentation is never far away.  When it came to bloat, I
found that when I added a dual boot to my netbook, Debian Squeeze loaded
faster (by about 2x) than Windows XP.

I still consider fragmentation an issue.  I'm faced with what I believe is
GTK3 dialogs opening on my newly upgraded Debian box (to Wheezy) - the
decorations look about 12 years old.  I'm not sure what it is causing it
but I think it has to do with the remaining GNOME packages being removed
during the upgrade (I use Xfce and until Debian makes it their default
desktop environment, I will always have an extra thing to consider when
finding a fix).

I think the solution to fragmentation is to create
an environment where everything in it uses the same (software) components.
 To not dis-encourage choice, I do not mean accept one product out of the
box across everything, but all configured to your own taste.  If you are
introducing someone to Linux, use your favorite distro (or at least the
internet's favorite).  Your friend will create their own taste once the
proficiency is there.

The next few years will be interesting if the big desktop OSes continue to
go mobile (and daily functions continue to be switched to online "cloud"
services), leaving the desktop in the dust.  I would like to see how people
(particularly power users) will choose.

--
Cheers,
Joel Maxuel