[nSLUG] RStudio and SAGE as an example of a linux web app

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 15:36:16 AST 2013

For those who haven't considered developing web apps on linux, I should
mention a couple real-world open source examples -- one older app and one
using webkit and qt.

1. Sage Mathematical Software <http://www.sagemath.org/> -- native linux/OS
X application (Windows version is a virtual appliance) with a "notebook"
interface that runs in a browser.  The home page has a link to online
versions you can try.   Both iOS and Goggle chromium use webkit browser
technology which has caused some problems for SAGE in the past.  It would
be a huge win if SAGE can make use of the
display quality in a chromebook pixel

1.  RStudio <http://rstudio.org> -- GUI for the R stats package built using
webkit.  Rstudio server is available for linux.  At work I use an RStudio
server when Windows is busy running managed AV scan or installing updates
(e.g., most of the time), as well as for some R libraries that aren't
available on Windows or which require 3rd party libraries/tools that we're
not permitted to install in the corporate standard Windows configuration.
I' love to see how the graphics look on a chromebook pixel.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia