[nSLUG] rsync://mirror.its.dal.ca/gentoo-portage available

Vlado Keselj vlado at cs.dal.ca
Thu Mar 7 15:09:38 AST 2013

I sent the following message to Karl directly, but since we are sharing
the emails of support, I thought I could share mine as well.
BTW, I frequently use Fedora Core and Perl CPAN packages.

Regards,
Vlado

---

Hi Karl,

I would like to express my strong support for maintaining the
mirror.its.dal.ca.  It is an excellent resource raising the profile of
Nova Scotia and Dalhousie in the Information Technology world.
For myself, I am a professor in the Faculty of Computer Science, and in
our research group we have dozens of computers running Linux and other
open-source software.  It saves a lot of time for us to update the
software and install new systems since we get the image from this mirror.
It also saves the bandwidth for everyone since we generate all this
traffic locally and do not use bandwidth of the backbone connections.
In addition to open source software, the mirror contains the Gutenberg
project book collection, which is very valuable in my research.

Best regards,
Vlado

Vlado Keselj, PhD
Professor of Computer Science, Director of Electronic Commerce
Faculty of Computer Science        e-mail: vlado at cs.dal.ca
Dalhousie University               URL   : http://web.cs.dal.ca/~vlado
6050 University Ave                phone : 902/494-2893
Halifax, NS  B3H 4R2               fax   : 902/492-1517 (att.Vlado)
Canada                             office: rm.326, G.Comp.Sci. Bldg.