[nSLUG] rsync://mirror.its.dal.ca/gentoo-portage available

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 15:45:54 AST 2013

For me, the advantage of having a comprehensive local server is the time it
saves figuring out what server has a current version of a package I need
and is responsive.  When an important bug fix is released, servers "close
to origin" often get hammered, but some at least reserve bandwidth for
mirroring so while the "close to origin" server is at the connection limit
I can often get the files from mirror.its.dal.ca

I use mirror.its.dal.ca CTAN, CPAN, CRAN as well as a couple linux distros.
  The critical need occurs when some a project goes on hold until I get a
necessary package working.

Before we had mirror.its.dal.ca, I often had to try several mirrors to find
one with current packages (often the reason I need to install a package is
to get a fix for a bug we reported) and acceptable download speeds.  For
any given package there is probably another mirror that would work, but
having a reliable and mostly current local mirror means much less
time/effort searching for a suitable mirror for a given CXAN or linux
distro.

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Karl Vollmer <vollmer at ampache.org> wrote:

> Herb - hm... Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into that. weird!
>
> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 11:47 AM, Herb Theriault <herbt at theria.ca> wrote:
> > Still seems to be one odd hang up with Arch.
> >
> > There is an entry for whatever the current package is for an audio  app
> called lash, but it is never there. I have to tell pacman to gnore it, and
> get it from somewhere else later.
> >
> > Herb
> >
> > Karl Vollmer <vollmer at ampache.org> wrote:
> >
> >>If that was related to debian, it was due to an older ftp-sync script
> >>that we've since updated (a few weeks ago) and should have fixed that
> >>issue, if it's not then let me know next time you see it :)
> >>
> >>-Karl

> the

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia