[nSLUG] CryptoParty comes to Halifax

francis picabia fpicabia at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 11:17:05 ADT 2013

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 10:02 PM, Mike Doherty <doherty at cs.dal.ca> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I figured with the recent revelations and/or questions about what the
> NSA and CSEC are doing, it would be a good time to bring CryptoParty to
> Halifax.
>
> If you've never heard of CryptoParty, it's pretty simple. It's a
> hands-on event designed to get privacy and security tools, especially
> cryptography, into people's daily lives. We'll come together to teach
> and learn about things like Tor, PGP, TrueCrypt, and OTR messaging. It's
> free to everyone, and non-threatening to beginners.
>
> CryptoParty is participatory, so if you can, I'd love to have some
> people from NSLUG help me with organizing and running this. If you can
> teach beginners how to encrypt a USB thumbdrive so they can securely
> transport sensitive documents, please come help out. If you can show
> people how to install the Tor browser bundle, we absolutely love for you
> to come run a session.

Sounds very interesting, but I probably can't make it.

I read about a Tor exit node owner being arrested in Austria
because that was the IP identified accessing child porn.
Given this, and the recommendation from Tor website
to not run an exit node from home, are there enough
exit nodes in existence to make Tor useful?

My initial feeling about Tor is that it may have its applications,
but for regular folks, this is kind of like wearing a stocking
over the head or covering up all windows in your home.
Tor use will have its own appearance to an ISP, which
can raise the question of why are they bothering to
disguise their IP and tunnel this traffic.  Most of us don't
want to look like we are about to rob a bank or hold
people in a basement dungeon, so we don't go
for an appearance resembling the type.