[nSLUG] CryptoParty comes to Halifax

Mike Doherty doherty at cs.dal.ca
Mon Jun 17 22:02:03 ADT 2013

Hello all,

I figured with the recent revelations and/or questions about what the
NSA and CSEC are doing, it would be a good time to bring CryptoParty to
Halifax.

If you've never heard of CryptoParty, it's pretty simple. It's a
hands-on event designed to get privacy and security tools, especially
cryptography, into people's daily lives. We'll come together to teach
and learn about things like Tor, PGP, TrueCrypt, and OTR messaging. It's
free to everyone, and non-threatening to beginners.

CryptoParty is participatory, so if you can, I'd love to have some
people from NSLUG help me with organizing and running this. If you can
teach beginners how to encrypt a USB thumbdrive so they can securely
transport sensitive documents, please come help out. If you can show
people how to install the Tor browser bundle, we absolutely love for you
to come run a session.

But if you just want to come and learn, we'd be happy to have you.

The first CryptoPartyHFX is tentatively Saturday June 29 2-5pm in the
Dalhousie computer science building on University Ave. I hope to have
confirmation on that by tomorrow, but I didn't want to wait to tell you
folks about this.

Hope to see you there!
-Mike Doherty