[nSLUG] Problems with console text

Eugene Cormier eugene.cormier at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 09:59:02 ADT 2013

Hey Mike, if the text is normal size at the beginning of boot and then
after a few seconds switches to a much smaller size: that IS KMS kicking
in and 'automagically' selecting a new framebuffer resolution

On the following webpage it say to add video=XRESxYRES to the kernel
params and rerun lilo:
http://linux.error-exception.org/article/1093546/video+mode+changes+during+boot

Cheers
Eugene

On Thu, Jun 06, 2013 at 02:09:28AM -0300, Mike Spencer wrote:

> Tnx to Jack Warkentin, Eugene Cormier & Bill Davidson for
> suggestions.  Filed until the computer comes back to me on Daniel's
> next visit.
>
> Bill asked:
>
> > If he's using KDE anyway, why do you care about the console text
> > size?
>
> Because I don't have a clue how to use KDE. So I use consoles to
> figure things out for him. Or an xterm. But once KDE is started, it
> does all manner of weird stuff that makes it harder to untangle what's
> going on.  When I give him suggestions of how to figure something
> out, it's generally couched in command line terms.  And he's 46 so
> tiny type is less than good for him either.
>
> But you're right that it isn't a pressing concern.
>
> > (Extra freebie) if you switch to a different virtual terminal does it
> > look the same?
>
> Yeah, all consoles come up the same.
>
> The text that scrolls across the screen during boot is the standard
> size until half way through when the screeen clears and it goes to
> tiny text.
>

> Tnx,
> - Mike
>
> --

Eugene Cormier
---------------
Full-time Instructor
Acadia University
www.eugenecormier.com
eugenecormier at gmail.com
Office: Denton Hall Rm.235
Office Hours: Tuesday 11-12, Wednesday 2:30-3:30 & Thursday 10-11 (or by appointment)
Phone: (902) 585-1329

Statement of Confidentiality
This message (including attachments) may contain confidential or
privileged information intended for a specific individual or
organization. If you have received this communication in error, please
notify the sender immediately. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are not authorized to use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely
on this email, and should promptly delete this email from your entire
computer system.