[nSLUG] Fwd: Calling Perl Mongers, Monks and Mooks

Mike Doherty doherty at cs.dal.ca
Tue Jun 4 18:12:07 ADT 2013

Perl is in many ways ugly, but I actually think it's quite easy to
learn. I was told it was hard, and said "challenge accepted" -- and
discovered that it really wasn't so tough. In particular, even speaking
"baby-talk" Perl, beginners can be productive. I think this
misconception persists because although it is difficult to become an
expert. The learning curve is shallow, but goes on *forever*.

I think another interesting aspect of Perl is that the warts are not
what people think of. "Oh sigils, how ugly" is not a real wart. Even
"Punctuation variables, how ugly" isn't even a real wart. Perl hackers
know that the warts are totally different things. What things they are
is left as an exercise for the reader :) (or a conversation over coffee)

-Mike