[nSLUG] Problems with console text

Jack Warkentin jwark at bellaliant.net
Tue Jun 4 16:49:47 ADT 2013

Hi Mike

A couple of other related documents to read would be fb/vesafb.txt.gz
and svga.txt.gz, both in the Documentation directory hierarchy (at least
that's where they are on my Debian system).

First of all, there must be no spaces around the "=" sign in the
vga=<mode> parameter.

Second, if this parameter is omitted entirely, you won't enter
framebuffer mode until the video card's driver is loaded, further along
in the boot process. In that case, I *believe* you will get large fonts
on the console, like what those old 14" 640X480 terminals had.

Third, AFAIK, people use vga=791 (for example) to get smaller, but not
tiny, fonts on their consoles. I use vga=0x3E3 and that works well for
me on my 24" 1920x1200 screen.

I also ascertained that the fbcon=<options> that can be included on the
kernel boot command line only apply to the vesa framebuffer created very
early in the boot process by the vga=<mode> parameter. Once the video
card's driver is loaded, and that driver's framebuffer is started, the
fbcon=<options> from the kernel boot command line no longer apply. To
get around this problem, the video card's driver module must be compiled
right into the kernel, instead of being loaded as a module later in the
boot process, in which case the fbcon=<options> will apply as long as
the system is not rebooted.

If you don't want a framebuffer at all ever, you need to recompile the
kernel, omitting the fbcon module. If fbcon is compiled into the kernel,
you will get the video card driver's framebuffer as soon as that driver
module is loaded, whether you want it or not.

The above is my understanding and I hope it helps. If I am wrong I would
very much like to be corrected, because I have struggled with these
sorts of problems off and on for years.

Regards

Jack

Jack Warkentin, phone 902-404-0457, email jwark at bellaliant.net