[nSLUG] Fwd: Calling Perl Mongers, Monks and Mooks

Robin Murray nibor.yarrum at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 14:12:04 ADT 2013

IMO, perl is a very ugly, convoluted, frustrating language to learn. There
bags of details you have to "just know" to become reasonably productive,
like many of the special variables ($", $$, $/, when to use $! and not $@,
and of course there's $_ and @_), when to use BEGIN and END, what does
__PACKAGE__ variable mean, and lots of others. Then you have to use it
enough to get a feel for the five or dozens of ways to do any one small
thing, and then figure out which one is right for you. And then realize the
one you picked is no good for you after all and switch to another.

It's very easy to write ugly, hard to read code, that even the author can't
later figure out:
http://geekandpoke.typepad.com/geekandpoke/2008/07/one-day-in-the.html

HOWEVER, once you have gotten past that learning curve, you will find it's
an incredibly productive language to use. I've been switching back and
forth between java and perl lately, and I always feel releived when I get
back to perl. Things are just so much easier to get done quickly:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4769111/java-equivalent-of-perls-hash

Then there's the wonderful world of CPAN, an amazing amount of utilities at
your finger tips. I don't know of any other language that has an
equivalent. There may be some, but I haven't run into them yet.

For me, I think my brain would go a little bent using perl just now and
then, without going through that tough learning stage. I've dabbled in ruby
and so far have found it much more straight forward. I hear python is much
easier too. Unless I actually wanted to do perl specifically, I think I
would use a simpler language for casual use. But that's just me.

(I have no interest in any religious wars of languages, I have no axe to
grind, just giving my perspective on this, for what it's worth.)

--
Robin Murray
Hatchet Lake,