[nSLUG] Problems with console text

Eugene Cormier eugene.cormier at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 00:53:19 ADT 2013

Mike, I would think that an easy way to correct this would be to
recompile the kernel leaving out all FB drivers and making sure to get
the kms set on for whatever graphics card

Eugene

On Sun, Jun 02, 2013 at 12:29:13AM -0300, Mike Spencer wrote:

> My son dropped off his new/used laptop for consultation.  He's ++good
> with Windoes but a Linux novice.  I solved some problems for him but I'm
> stumped by one:
>
>     He mistakenly chose the wrong option at install time and now has
>     consoles with teeny-tiny text. ([VESA?] frame buffer mode?)  I don't
>     know how to revert it to the default, much larger, console text.
>
>     His lilo.conf has "vga = normal" and I re-ran lilo.  Still comes
>     up with teeny text.
>
>     cat /sys/devices/virtual/vtconsole/vtcon0/name
>
>     (S) VGA+
>
>     cat /sys/devices/virtual/vtconsole/vtcon0/name
>
>     (M) frame buffer device
>
>     There *must* be a way to fix this short of re-installing
>     Slackware.
>
>     Yes, I've read:
>
>       /usr/src/linux-3.2.29/Documentation/fb/fbcon.txt
>
>     Is that the only way to do this?  I don't want to switch back and
>     forth.  I just want his box to boot into plain VGA console.
>
> FWIW, this is an eMachines 64-bit AMD laptop with Slack 14 and KDE
> installed. Son uses KDE because he's used to the Win environment.
> (I'm reminded how very much I hate GUI desktops.)
>
> I'm hoping to be at the meet on Monday, LWATCDR.
>

> - Mike
>
> --

Eugene Cormier
---------------
Full-time Instructor
Acadia University
www.eugenecormier.com
eugenecormier at gmail.com
Office: Denton Hall Rm.235
Office Hours: Tuesday 11-12, Wednesday 2:30-3:30 & Thursday 10-11 (or by appointment)
Phone: (902) 585-1329

Statement of Confidentiality
This message (including attachments) may contain confidential or
privileged information intended for a specific individual or
organization. If you have received this communication in error, please
notify the sender immediately. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are not authorized to use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely
on this email, and should promptly delete this email from your entire
computer system.