[nSLUG] Problems with console text

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sun Jun 2 00:29:13 ADT 2013

My son dropped off his new/used laptop for consultation.  He's ++good
with Windoes but a Linux novice.  I solved some problems for him but I'm
stumped by one:

    He mistakenly chose the wrong option at install time and now has
    consoles with teeny-tiny text. ([VESA?] frame buffer mode?)  I don't
    know how to revert it to the default, much larger, console text.

    His lilo.conf has "vga = normal" and I re-ran lilo.  Still comes
    up with teeny text.

    cat /sys/devices/virtual/vtconsole/vtcon0/name

    (S) VGA+

    cat /sys/devices/virtual/vtconsole/vtcon0/name

    (M) frame buffer device

    There *must* be a way to fix this short of re-installing
    Slackware.

    Yes, I've read:

      /usr/src/linux-3.2.29/Documentation/fb/fbcon.txt

    Is that the only way to do this?  I don't want to switch back and
    forth.  I just want his box to boot into plain VGA console.

FWIW, this is an eMachines 64-bit AMD laptop with Slack 14 and KDE
installed. Son uses KDE because he's used to the Win environment.
(I'm reminded how very much I hate GUI desktops.)

I'm hoping to be at the meet on Monday, LWATCDR.

- Mike

                                                           /V\