[nSLUG] Ubuntu 13.04

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 09:34:56 ADT 2013

I'm finding that no single distro has working versions of all the (mainly
computational) tools I need, but so far I've been able to get what I need
using virtual machines hosted on some "stable/robust" distro.   NASA builds
the software I use on Ubuntu 12.04 (LTS), so I started with that as my main
desktop OS, but later a bug in gcc forced an upgrade to 12.10 which has
been working well.

At present I'm using VirtualBox and two main clients: Lubuntu 13.04
(working sound, but very limited list of display resolutions) and Fedora 18
(supports full screen at 1650x1080, and I've been working on some software
that currently fails tests on anything but RHEL ).

I generally build software on the host and then run it (using a shared
folder) on clients.  When someone encounters problems in some other linux
distro it is generally pretty easy to add another VM to investigate.   This
works for me because the apps I use are computationally intensive and have
relatively simple graphics, but now there are efforts to move computations
into the GPU and I will have to rethink this approach (and find the money
for a high-end GPU).