[nSLUG] irc

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Jul 17 16:41:54 ADT 2013

On 17/07/13 03:33 PM, Douglas Guptill wrote:
> Is it normal to hide one's identity (name) on irc?

Communities and individuals differ on that practice. I have the same
nick I chose nearly 20 years ago because it is memorable. But within the
Debian developer community, for example, our convention is to always
show the full name in the 'ircname' field. So if you are new to irc and
don't know my nick, just "/whois SynrG" and you'll see my full name
listed there. This helps people who have lives outside of irc (some irc
regulars may find this shocking ;) to connect with people they know from
other contexts.

Others prefer pseudoanonymity. Some of these people have really good
reasons, too (often going to greater measures to conceal their identity,
e.g. using a 'cloak' if the irc network provides one, or using Tor).

Ben