[nSLUG] Mounting USB stick during Slack install session: how?

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Wed Jul 17 15:46:09 ADT 2013

This is probably Slackware-specific. I've posted this to
alt.os.linux.slackware and will be fiddling with advice offered later
in the day.  But I thought I might get some other pointers here.

---

I'm playing with an Eee PC.  Booted up nicely from a USB stick to
which I'd written /usb-and-pxe-installers/usbboot.img from Slack 12.1.

Now I'm root, ready to partiton the HD and run setup.  But I need a
source for the files. Since I have Slack 12.1 on CDs, it's obvious to
copy files to another USB stick and mount that.

So I plug in the USB stick -- the one with files on it, not the booter
-- and dmesg shows that the system found it, scanned it, knows its
size, vendor etc. and refers to it as sdb, mentioning sdb1.
Cat /proc/scsi/scsi correctly reports the device.

But I can't mount /dev/sdb1. Mount says /dev/sdb1 doesn't exist. ls
/dev/sdb* says no such file.

  + Is there something I'm missing?

  + Or is there a work-around?

  + Or is it that mounting a USB "attached SCSI removable disk" is just
    not doable in this context?

                                                           /V\