[nSLUG] irc

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Jul 17 13:58:19 ADT 2013

On 07/17/2013 01:52 PM, Douglas Guptill wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 01:11:14PM -0300, Ben Armstrong wrote:
>> You might. But you might also be already missing out on what happens on
>> irc, and we've had an irc channel for a very long time.
>
> um...irc?
>
> Can you help me use it?

Sure.

> I have fired up pidgin, and have an account (dguptill) on jabber.org.
>
> Looking through the (long) room list, I see 'debian'.  But no 'nslug'.
>
> Am I close?  Or so far off there is no help for me?

In pidgin (not my favourite irc client, but if it's what you use for
other IM protocols, yes, it will work) I found this tutorial. Assuming
the version differences between the author's version and yours aren't
too great, this should work:

http://blog.mnemotechnics.org/how-to-use-irc-pidgin-tutorial-3538.html

The server name is irc.oftc.net (irc.debian.org is an alias for this)
and the channel name is #nSLUG

Optionally, when you get online, you may register your nickname with
nickserv:

http://www.oftc.net/Services/#register-your-account

Ben