[nSLUG] Encouraging participation and reaching out into the community

Jack Warkentin jwark at bellaliant.net
Wed Jul 17 12:50:16 ADT 2013

Hi Everybody

I have two concerns over having a twitter account.

First: I enjoy *all* of the posts to the email list, and making the
occasional posting myself. If I don't participate in the new twitter
account, I am concerned that I will miss out on something that might
*really* interest me.

Second: If we start using some communication device other than the email
list, then next might come a facebook account, a linkedin (I think
that's how it is spelled) account, and who knows what else. That could
split the group into subgroups among which intersubgroup communication
is significantly reduced. I think the group is small enough as it is
that such splitting would be undesirable.

On the other hand, I know that people who have jobs, or would like to
have jobs, are pretty well compelled to have presences on social media.
As a 75-year old old fogy, I guess it is a luxury for me not to have to
have such a presence. I just hope that my above concerns fail to
materialize.

Regards

Jack