[nSLUG] Twitter account

Mike Doherty doherty at cs.dal.ca
Tue Jul 16 10:20:17 ADT 2013

On 13-07-16 10:02 AM, D G Teed wrote:
> I'm just saying twitter looks like a FAIL to those of us who don't
> use it

This is totally unrelated to whether we will continue to have an NSLUG
twitter account, and I have nothing to add beyond what Ben has already
articulated.

It might be interesting for those of you who are up in arms that other
people are using Twitter (or any other technology you don't use) to
think about doing some of the following:

  - Find out why they are doing so. Maybe there are uses you haven't
through of; maybe there are studies on how and why people use it that
you could read to come to a better understanding.
  - Consider giving it a try in a safe and controlled way. For example,
you might set up Tor and use an anonymous or pseudonymous account and
try engaging with others using the technology. You might find it more
valuable than you think -- or you might confirm that it isn't the right
tool for you.
  - Consider whether the fact that other people are using the technology
really impacts you. If not, then it might reduce your stress levels to
simply let them do as they see fit without asking your permission.

-Mike