[nSLUG] Twitter account

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 10:02:49 ADT 2013

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 11:52 PM, Michael Gillie <mikegpc at hemmysoft.com>wrote:

> I think no matter what the age, we should stick with the addage "if it
> ain't broke, don't fix it." That said, in regards to the COG rant earlier,
> you guys might be aging, but you are geeks. Let some of the younger
> generation expand the currently limited horizon of the NSLUG mailing list.
> Note that i say expand, not replace. My two cents, grammatically the way I
> typed it, just to see how many grammar police i might p*ss off.... Sorry
> guys, but this all seemed a bit silly. If it will upset some key members
> like Jack and Frank, maybe the best thing to do is not involve twitter at
> all....
>

> Michael Gillie

I don't know if it is about age and being stuck in our old ways versus
that we're just not getting it.

Your comment was 592 char, so it would have required 5 tweets
to communicate this.  Ben's well communicated email would fit
into 35 tweets.  I fail to see how twitter exceeds what
an email list can do.  I fail to see how 140 char can hold anything
other than a "hey check this out" followed by a short URL.

Yes, I just don't get it.  I'm getting my meals by the plate, and
the twitter users are acting as if the meals are served by salt shaker.

It seems to me that twitter is a popular media format simply because
it serves a short attention span well.  You might have heard about
a policy change at 3M - they banned use of powerpoint for meetings
because it was dumbing down the content and critical issues were not
being addressed in meetings.

Twitter can be useful for announcements and something like
a chat, but so can email.  I like email because it is time flexible,
works on multiple platforms, supports attachments, and
can contain stuff like snippets from Linux files, etc., formatted
the way it came from the system.

I'm not saying shut down the account.  I'm just saying twitter looks
like a FAIL to those of us who don't use it, so it is constantly
amazing there is interest in it.