[nSLUG] Installation problems, Fedora 18

Cliff Cameron treephrog at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 13:43:55 ADT 2013

Probably all after the fact, but here's where I ended up.

Google search for "h8-1513cb hp pavilion" returns nothing terribly
interesting, notably there's no hp.com results until the bottom the page.
Further, there's a link to the CostCo page for the system, but it's no
longer available.

Going to HP's site and doing the same search reveals a 1520t as the closest
result; not an exact match. More than likely, the 1513cb is a model made
specifically for CostCo, so we may have to reverse-engineers some specs to
see if we can figure out some hardware details.

Since this is the next model up in the chain, we can assume that the specs
will be similar, albeit probably slightly lower:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Desktops/HP-ENVY/C9D47AV?HP-ENVY-h8-1520t-Desktop-PC

The "Specs" tab tells us that this model ships with an AMD Radeon HD 7670
video card, so it's probably safe to assume that Vlado's machine has a
similar, but probably slightly lower performance, video card. Last mention
of the video card in the email thread states that the video seems to be
working okay, so this isn't terribly helpful, other than perhaps updating
to restricted drivers for (possibly) increased performance.

The network card is more sticky.

Searching for "h8-1513cb hp pavilion ethernet chipset" doesn't yield much,
either, although the second search result is interesting, even though the
actual page wouldn't load properly a few times:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03517389&prodSeriesId=5295996

HP ENVY h8-1414 Desktop PC Product Specifications. Product *...* Chipset:
AMD 970. Memory *...* Technology: RTL8171EH-CG Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

So this model is a few below Vlado's machine. Might be a good starting
point to do trial-and-error with drivers, providing the Realtek RTL8171EH-CG
chipset is supported.

Using the search on that specs page to search for h8-1515, h8-1510, h8-1520
got no results.

If I had to guess, I'd bank on the system using a Realtek chipset for the
ethernet, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the RTL8171EH-CG, or one
very close to it.

Hope this helps in some way.

Cliff

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 8:56 AM, George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com>wrote:

> Just trying different distros may not be very useful, it is much better to
> find out what ethernet hardware is in your machine and investigate the
> linux support for your device.  Often it is just a question of tweaking the
> configuration.  The kernel may be loading the wrong module or loading the
> right module with the wrong options.  Newer distros tend to use a dynamic
> network configuration more suited to laptops where you may be plugging and
> unplugging ethernet cables and moving between wireless AP's.  For always on
> servers it is better to use a static network configuration, but if you use
> sleep or hibernation with your desktop a dynamic configuration may be
> better but at a cost of more opportunities for configuration glitches.
>
> Normally, lspci will tell you what device you have, and google or the
> vendor's website will tell you the status of linux support.  I'm sure if
> you post the lspci entry someone will help track down the linux status info.
>

> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 10:52 PM, Vlado Keselj <vlado at cs.dal.ca> wrote:
>

>> I was thinking about using one of the older network cards, but using
>> a USB Ethernet adapter seemed like a similar but easier solution (rather
>> than opening a new computer etc.)
>>
>> When I have a chance, I will run with some other Live distributions to see
>> if the built-in Ethernet is recognized.
>>

>> On Tue, 2 Jul 2013, George N. White III wrote:
>>
>> > It isn't unusual to run into problems with linux on new hardware.  The
>> first thing to investigate is whether the devices causing problems
>> > work with linux -- some vendors actively support linux while others
>> make it difficult for developers to get access to the technical
>> > details.   It is silly to just randomly try different distributions
>> without knowing what drivers your hardware needs since google should
>> > find the appropriate drivers given the hardware details.  With consumer
>> gear the only reliable way to know what is in your box is to run
>> > lspci and check dmesg and Xorg.0.log.  If you can't get the video to
>> work many distros have text mode installs or rescue boot options that
>> > give a text console.  Consumer distros often fix hardware issues in
>> upgrades, so don't assume Fedora 18 won't work based on the DVD.
>> >
>> > In my experience, sound is the one device category that distros handle
>> differently so if you need sound and have problems with Fedora 18 (I
>> > have not got sound to work in a Fedora 18 OpenBox VM, but Ubuntu worked
>> without
>> > any fuss) then it might be worth trying some other live DVD's.
>> >
>> > It sounds like you have video and onboard network problems.  For video
>> the vendor may have non-free drivers that work while the bugs are
>> > still being worked out of the free drivers.  If the onboard ethernet
>> isn't supported you can install a card that does have good support.  A
>> > few years ago I was seeing problems with low-end ethernet chips
>> intended for Windows web browser level applications that just did not work
> [...]

"Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus."
+++
"Carpe Noctem."