[nSLUG] Ethernet on NEW computer

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 13:20:00 ADT 2013

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Jim Haliburton <jim at on-site.ns.ca> wrote:

> Vlado wwrote about the problems he is having with his new computer and
> LInux not correctly recognizing his NIC.
>
> A few suggestions when installing Linux to replace a Windows install.
>
> It is "a good idea" to make a note of the make and model of the devices
> installed in the Windows install.  The key items are Video/Graphics card,
> Lan, USB resources and chip set, motherboard resources such as chip set,
> touch pad devices if installed, hard drive controller and any unique or
> proprietary devices the vendor has installed.
>
> If not sure of a device,  there is a device instance Id under device
> manager, details, of the device in question.  That device Id is a unique
> vendor and model identifier that can be looked up online.
>
> Note the interface speed settings such as Sata1, II or III, or if the USB
> is 1.0/1.1, 2.0 or 3.0.
>

> Most large retailers have cut back on their stocks of network cards
> because motherboards typically come with them installed.  They also don't
> want to be involved in people opening up the cases to install cards.  So
> selling a USB device is  a no brainer with no support required.
>
> When buying a new computer your first choice of network card brand is
> Intel.  If it has an Intel NIC on board it will likely have a Linux
> driver available.  Ironicaly Realtek should be your next choice.  If you
> can, try to avoid systems with Broadcom NICs.  They are often problematic
> even for Windows install.  They are the prime cause for people adding new
> Intel  NICs in computers.
>
> Jim H

Agreed.  There are many things you can fix after, but two drivers you need
working immediately are the storage system and the NIC.  You can make
do by transferring stuff (non-freeware firmware package) to the
Linux system with USB key until the NIC is working.

The state of add-on cards is getting sad.  It used to be there were
upgrade PCI cards for sound, etc., and you could shop for these
at retail outlets.  Now it is getting to be all USB since it works
for laptops and desktops and laptops have been outselling desktops.
For sound work, USB devices I've tried do not provide
low latency for sound recording as well.