[nSLUG] Installation problems, Fedora 18

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 08:56:07 ADT 2013

Just trying different distros may not be very useful, it is much better to
find out what ethernet hardware is in your machine and investigate the
linux support for your device.  Often it is just a question of tweaking the
configuration.  The kernel may be loading the wrong module or loading the
right module with the wrong options.  Newer distros tend to use a dynamic
network configuration more suited to laptops where you may be plugging and
unplugging ethernet cables and moving between wireless AP's.  For always on
servers it is better to use a static network configuration, but if you use
sleep or hibernation with your desktop a dynamic configuration may be
better but at a cost of more opportunities for configuration glitches.

Normally, lspci will tell you what device you have, and google or the
vendor's website will tell you the status of linux support.  I'm sure if
you post the lspci entry someone will help track down the linux status info.