[nSLUG] Installation problems, Fedora 18

Matthew FitzGerald-Chamberlain chamberlain2007 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 22:56:32 ADT 2013

As an aside, the USB adapter seems to be an increasingly popular solution.
I needed to buy a PCI Express card, and couldn't find any on campus
(PCPC/Hardware Services), at Best Buy/Futureshop, etc. Not that I mind
going to a smaller store, but I was surprised at the lack of availability.

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 10:52 PM, Vlado Keselj <vlado at cs.dal.ca> wrote:

> I was thinking about using one of the older network cards, but using
> a USB Ethernet adapter seemed like a similar but easier solution (rather
> than opening a new computer etc.)
>
> When I have a chance, I will run with some other Live distributions to see
> if the built-in Ethernet is recognized.
>

> On Tue, 2 Jul 2013, George N. White III wrote:
>
> > It isn't unusual to run into problems with linux on new hardware.  The
> first thing to investigate is whether the devices causing problems
> > work with linux -- some vendors actively support linux while others make
> it difficult for developers to get access to the technical
> > details.   It is silly to just randomly try different distributions
> without knowing what drivers your hardware needs since google should
> > find the appropriate drivers given the hardware details.  With consumer
> gear the only reliable way to know what is in your box is to run
> > lspci and check dmesg and Xorg.0.log.  If you can't get the video to
> work many distros have text mode installs or rescue boot options that
> > give a text console.  Consumer distros often fix hardware issues in
> upgrades, so don't assume Fedora 18 won't work based on the DVD.
> >
> > In my experience, sound is the one device category that distros handle
> differently so if you need sound and have problems with Fedora 18 (I
> > have not got sound to work in a Fedora 18 OpenBox VM, but Ubuntu worked
> without
> > any fuss) then it might be worth trying some other live DVD's.
> >
> > It sounds like you have video and onboard network problems.  For video
> the vendor may have non-free drivers that work while the bugs are
> > still being worked out of the free drivers.  If the onboard ethernet
> isn't supported you can install a card that does have good support.  A
> > few years ago I was seeing problems with low-end ethernet chips intended
> for Windows web browser level applications that just did not work
> > properly with linux and had to be disabled and a server-class card
> added.  Watch out for used ethernet cards -- I've seen lots of cards
> > that pass the vendor's diagnostics but were useless for moving data --
> some even managed to pass the diagnostics with several components
> > that had been incinerated -- I suspect users tried to plug a phone wire
> into the ethernet jack instead of the modem jack.
> >

> > On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 8:02 AM, Vlado Keselj <vlado at cs.dal.ca> wrote:
> >       Hi,
> >
> >       I am trying to install Fedora 18 on a new desktop (h8-1513cb HP
> Pavilion,
> >       from Costco).  After solving Windows 8 "Secure boot" problem, it
> seems
> >       that built-in Ethernet is not recognized and the display is
> shifted (a
> >       right part appears on the left side).
> >
> >       Has anyone had similar problems?  Do you have any recommendations
> about a
> >       good Linux distribution for new hardware?
> >
> >       Thanks,
> [...]

-Matthew FitzGerald-Chamberlain