[nSLUG] Installation problems, Fedora 18

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 19:06:29 ADT 2013

It isn't unusual to run into problems with linux on new hardware.  The
first thing to investigate is whether the devices causing problems work
with linux -- some vendors actively support linux while others make it
difficult for developers to get access to the technical details.   It is
silly to just randomly try different distributions without knowing what
drivers your hardware needs since google should find the appropriate
drivers given the hardware details.  With consumer gear the only reliable
way to know what is in your box is to run lspci and check dmesg and
Xorg.0.log.  If you can't get the video to work many distros have text mode
installs or rescue boot options that give a text console.  Consumer distros
often fix hardware issues in upgrades, so don't assume Fedora 18 won't work
based on the DVD.

In my experience, sound is the one device category that distros handle
differently so if you need sound and have problems with Fedora 18 (I have
not got sound to work in a Fedora 18 OpenBox VM, but Ubuntu worked without
any fuss) then it might be worth trying some other live DVD's.

It sounds like you have video and onboard network problems.  For video the
vendor may have non-free drivers that work while the bugs are still being
worked out of the free drivers.  If the onboard ethernet isn't supported
you can install a card that does have good support.  A few years ago I was
seeing problems with low-end ethernet chips intended for Windows web
browser level applications that just did not work properly with linux and
had to be disabled and a server-class card added.  Watch out for used
ethernet cards -- I've seen lots of cards that pass the vendor's
diagnostics but were useless for moving data -- some even managed to pass
the diagnostics with several components that had been incinerated -- I
suspect users tried to plug a phone wire into the ethernet jack instead of
the modem jack.

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 8:02 AM, Vlado Keselj <vlado at cs.dal.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install Fedora 18 on a new desktop (h8-1513cb HP Pavilion,
> from Costco).  After solving Windows 8 "Secure boot" problem, it seems
> that built-in Ethernet is not recognized and the display is shifted (a
> right part appears on the left side).
>
> Has anyone had similar problems?  Do you have any recommendations about a
> good Linux distribution for new hardware?
>
> Thanks,
> Vlado

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia