[nSLUG] Installation problems, Fedora 18

Eugene Cormier eugene.cormier at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 16:54:09 ADT 2013

I'll also add that since hardware support is directly tied to the
kernel, you should try any distro which uses the newest kernels (rolling
releases would have the most bleeding edge like arch or gentoo)

Eugene

On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 03:33:47PM -0300, Jack Warkentin wrote:
> Hi Vlado
>
> Several others have had some good suggestions. Frank mentioned live CD's
> and Ed provided a source for Linux hardware compatibility. I would like
> to add one other possibility.
>
> It takes a while for Linux kernels and Linux distributions to include
> drivers for very new hardware, especially with their installation
> kernel. (I had that problem several years ago - the installation kernel
> did not support all of the hardware, but the kernel that was installed
> during the installation did.) Since your hardware is very new, this
> might be the source of your problem. Ed's idea about using the latest
> possible version of Knoppix might get around such a problem. If that
> doesn't work, try the latest live CD's of various other distributions.
>
> Regards
>
> Jack
>

> Vlado Keselj wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to install Fedora 18 on a new desktop (h8-1513cb HP Pavilion,
> > from Costco).  After solving Windows 8 "Secure boot" problem, it seems
> > that built-in Ethernet is not recognized and the display is shifted (a
> > right part appears on the left side).
> >
> > Has anyone had similar problems?  Do you have any recommendations about a
> > good Linux distribution for new hardware?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Vlado
> >

> --
> Jack Warkentin, phone 902-404-0457, email jwark at bellaliant.net
> 39 Inverness Avenue, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3P 1X6

Eugene Cormier
---------------
Full-time Instructor
Acadia University
www.eugenecormier.com
eugenecormier at gmail.com
Office: Denton Hall Rm.235
Office Hours: Tuesday 11-12, Wednesday 2:30-3:30 & Thursday 10-11 (or by appointment)
Phone: (902) 585-1329

Statement of Confidentiality
This message (including attachments) may contain confidential or
privileged information intended for a specific individual or
organization. If you have received this communication in error, please
notify the sender immediately. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are not authorized to use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely
on this email, and should promptly delete this email from your entire
computer system.