[nSLUG] Installation problems, Fedora 18

Frank Geitzler frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 2 10:26:05 ADT 2013

On Tue, 2013-07-02 at 08:02 -0300, Vlado Keselj wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install Fedora 18 on a new desktop (h8-1513cb HP Pavilion,
> from Costco).  After solving Windows 8 "Secure boot" problem, it seems
> that built-in Ethernet is not recognized and the display is shifted (a
> right part appears on the left side).
>
> Has anyone had similar problems?  Do you have any recommendations about a
> good Linux distribution for new hardware?

Vlado, I can't speak from a great deal of experience, having only
installed Ubuntu, but would it be worth your time to obtain 'live'
installation CDs or DVDs of other Linux distros, and experiment with
them to see how they perform with your new hardware, before actually
installing them?  You should be able to boot the system from the 'live'
CD, and test everything out, without actually going to the trouble of
repartitioning, formatting, etc.  Incidentally, several magazines have
'live' DVDs in them -I purchased the latest 'UBUNTU user' magazine last
week (about $20. at Chapters) and it has a DVD which includes version
12.04 of Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu, and Linux Mint 14.  I
noticed 'Linux User' on the shelf as well, but didn't have time to look
at it at the time.
Frank Geitzler