[nSLUG] Serial drivers for Ubuntu 10.04?

Trina Hanson trina.hanson79 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 16:27:46 AST 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Joel Maxuel <j.maxuel at gmail.com> wrote:

> This sounded familiar, so I did a quick check in the archives.  Were
> you able to get your PC-TRAC model 9016 to work?
>
> Given the previous suggestions (January 1st to 2nd), I am curious if
> Ubuntu supports serial devices out of the box.  I would test this with
> something other than Xorg, such as installing GPM interface for the
> console.  This would be an (add sudo as necessary):
>
> apt-get install gpm

***  The program installed without any issues.

> I'm assuming after installation a conf file /etc/gpm.conf would show
> up to specify serial (such as /dev/ttyS0).

***   I found the file and changed the file to read as above, rebooted the
computer and the trackball would still not work.

>  If not, there would be a
> README (or more) in /usr/share/doc/gpm/

***   I found that nearly all of the README files delt with touch screens
and did not mention mice/trackballs.  I did find a "gpm-syn.conf" file in
examples, but again this dealt with touch screens.

> Then you can test with the following command:
>
> /usr/sbin/gpm-mouse-test

***   Did that and nothing happened, it just sits there until I press Ctrl
+ Z.

Interesting side note is that for /ttyS0, /ttyS1, /ttyS2, /ttyS3, I get the
error "No such file or directory".  I am wondering if this has to do with
the issue I have been having getting this trackball up and running?

> Besides GPM, you can try grabbing data from your serial port, just
> search the archives for "hamster wheel".  If you can prove that the OS
> is picking up events from the trackball, you would be in better shape
> when tiem to troubleshoot Xorg.

***   I will search the archives for this.  Is there anyway to search the
archive without having to open each months threads and searching using Ctrl
+ F?

Thanks,
Trina