[nSLUG] Serial drivers for Ubuntu 10.04?

Trina Hanson trina.hanson79 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 14:50:05 AST 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Joel Maxuel <j.maxuel at gmail.com> wrote:

> This sounded familiar, so I did a quick check in the archives.  Were
> you able to get your PC-TRAC model 9016 to work?

***   No I did not.  I put that trackball away and have been working on
other projects.

> Given the previous suggestions (January 1st to 2nd), I am curious if
> Ubuntu supports serial devices out of the box.  I would test this with
> something other than Xorg, such as installing GPM interface for the
> console.  This would be an (add sudo as necessary):
>
> apt-get install gpm
>
> I'm assuming after installation a conf file /etc/gpm.conf would show
> up to specify serial (such as /dev/ttyS0).

***   It did not create such a file in the /etc folder.

>  If not, there would be a
> README (or more) in /usr/share/doc/gpm/

***   In fact there are 7 of them.  :)  I am reading through them now
trying to get an idea of how this works and what I will need to do in order
to get the trackball up and working.

> Then you can test with the following command:
>
> /usr/sbin/gpm-mouse-test
>
> Besides GPM, you can try grabbing data from your serial port, just
> search the archives for "hamster wheel".  If you can prove that the OS
> is picking up events from the trackball, you would be in better shape
> when tiem to troubleshoot Xorg.
>
> Hope this helps.

It does.

Thank you,