[nSLUG] Serial drivers for Ubuntu 10.04?

Joel Maxuel j.maxuel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 14:21:41 AST 2013

This sounded familiar, so I did a quick check in the archives.  Were
you able to get your PC-TRAC model 9016 to work?

Given the previous suggestions (January 1st to 2nd), I am curious if
Ubuntu supports serial devices out of the box.  I would test this with
something other than Xorg, such as installing GPM interface for the
console.  This would be an (add sudo as necessary):

apt-get install gpm

I'm assuming after installation a conf file /etc/gpm.conf would show
up to specify serial (such as /dev/ttyS0).  If not, there would be a
README (or more) in /usr/share/doc/gpm/

Then you can test with the following command:

/usr/sbin/gpm-mouse-test

Besides GPM, you can try grabbing data from your serial port, just
search the archives for "hamster wheel".  If you can prove that the OS
is picking up events from the trackball, you would be in better shape
when tiem to troubleshoot Xorg.

Hope this helps.

--
Cheers,