[nSLUG] Serial drivers for Ubuntu 10.04?

Trina Hanson trina.hanson79 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 13:57:32 AST 2013

Hello,

I am trying to get a serial Kensington 64215 Expert 4 button Trackball up
and running with Ubuntu 10.04 with no luck.  I have spent literately days
online trying a few things, with no success.

The first thing I tired was to create a file called xorg.conf (see below
for the code that I used) and placed it etc/X11.  Once the file was placed
in the folder and I rebooted the computer the Ubuntu splash screen came up
and then slowly faded away.  I had to boot with a Live CD and then was able
to delete the file and rebooted the computer and it booted fine this time.

Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier      "Kensington Expert Mouse"
       Driver          "mouse"
       Option          "Protocol"      "ThinkingMouse"
       Option          "Device"        "/dev/ttyS0"
       Option          "CorePointer"
       Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
       Option          "Buttons"       "4"
EndSection

Then I found code that was suggested to name it 10-mouse.fdi (see the code
below) and place it in /etc/hal/fdi/policy.  I rebooted the computer and
the computer booted up this time, but the serial trackball would not work.

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<deviceinfo version='0.2'>
  <device>
    <match key='info.capabilities' contains='input.mouse'>
      <merge key='input.x11_driver' type='string'>mouse</merge>
      <merge key="input.x11_options.Device" type="string">/dev/ttyS0</merge>
      <merge key="input.x11_options.Protocol"
type="string">ThinkingMouse</merge>
      <merge key="input.x11_options.Emulate3Buttons"
type="string">false</merge>
      <merge key="input.x11_options.CorePointer" type="string">On</merge>
      <merge key="input.x11_options.Buttons" type="string">4</merge>
      <merge key="input.x11_options.ButtonMapping" type="string">1 2 3
4</merge>
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

I then found a file in /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor called
10-input-policy.fdi.  I then used the code above to replace the code that
was in that file and deleted the file (10-mouse.fdi) in /etc/hal/fdi/policy
and rebooted the computer and again the computer booted fine, but the
trackball was still unresponsive.

I have also tried using the following commands in a terminal window:

sudo apt-get install inputattach

inputattach -<mouse type> /path/to/serial/device

I replaced "<mouse type>" with Microsoft, as Kensington did not appear in
man inputattach, and used /dev/ttyS0 to replace "/path/to/serial/device",
again with no success.

Any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Trina