[nSLUG] Galaxy Nexus Hacking

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 00:01:13 AST 2013

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Daniel AJ Sokolov <daniel at falco.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> my Galaxy Nexus has been run over by at least one motor vehicle. The
> screen is dead, the glass is broken - but it still seems to work inside!
> Sound, buttons, blinkenlight, vibrator, battery, charging.
>
> I can access the data storage through USB and it probably connects to my
> WiFi. Developer mode might or might not be activated. I think I set it
> up so that non-certified Apps can be installed.
>
> Is anyone of you versed in Android 4 so that you could do anything
> useful with it?
>
> My first idea: I have a nice view from my apartment. Assuming the camera
> still works and there is a way to access it without using the
> touchscreen, I might be able to stick it to the window and use it as a
> webcam.
>
> But I have no idea how to go about this. I'm also open for other
> suggestions, if someone has an interesting project idea!

For a situation where a device which is all about UI breaks
it's head, I find it ironic to seek a way to use it without
it's primary strength.  However you are not the only one
considering such non-UI roles for an Android:

http://headlessandroid.blogspot.ca/2012/02/why-headless-android.html

Maybe it could be used for a pivos-like device and provide xbmc
for home theatre purposes.