[nSLUG] Need serial port driver for Ubuntu 10.04

Ted Tibbetts intuited at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 00:45:12 AST 2013

Ubuntu community-maintained documentation at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SerialMouseHowto has this to say about
the use of InputAttach:

    ## Using Inputattach

    This method is tested to work with Ubuntu 10.4.

        1. Press Control-Alt-F1 to get to Virtual Terminal 1 (your screen
will turn black and you'll see a login prompt in white text).
        2. Login using your username and password.
        1. Run 'inputattach --help' and find the appropriate protocol
option to match your mouse
        2. Add 'inputattach <protocol option> /dev/ttyS0' (or whatever
device your serial mouse is attached to) to /etc/rc.local

    ie. for many generic serial mice, the code is:

        inputattach --microsoft /dev/ttyS0

    Restart (ie. 'sudo reboot')

    Hopefully your mouse is now working, if not, remove the line you added
to rc.local and try another method.

It does look like these instructions could use a revision: for example, the
bullet numbering (1, 2, 1, 2) is theirs.  They may be at odds with the
problems reported in Daniel's second link; it's not made entirely clear
whether the poster of that question did all of this in a Virtual Terminal
while a GUI session was running in another terminal.  In any case, as
Daniel says, it's worth a shot.

Also note that you'll have to hit CTRL-ALT-F7 (or in some case CTRL-ALT-F8)
to get back to your GUI session after following the above instructions.
 Normally you would log out of your session in the text-mode terminal
first, unless you want to leave your machine open for someone to use.

If you do get it working, and you are particularly ambitious and/or
grateful, you may consider updating the community documentation to make it
a bit more clear or to explain any interesting details you discover along
the way.

If it doesn't work, you may want to bring your machine and trackball in to
the next meeting.  I'm mostly just a lurker on the mailing list, so I'll
leave it to one of the regulars to fill you in on the details.

You could also try digging through the manual page for `inputattach` (by
issuing the command `man inputattach` from a Terminal window) to see if you
can find a more appropriate option than `--microsoft`, which is intended to
identify the device as a basic 2-button mouse.