[nSLUG] Re: Calc file recovery help

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Tue Feb 19 20:02:21 AST 2013

> when I type in the following:
>
>  "locate *.xls | grep lgbtmovies.xls"
>
> it shows me the file that I have on the desktop.

So, no joy there. On the off chance that Openoffice Calc does some
clever but unknown-to-us trick renaming back-ups, perhaps try
something like this?

  locate '*.xls' | grep btmov
  locate '*.xls' | grep lgbt

Just offering guesses here.  I once suggested to a desperate new
employee where I was visiting that he look for a lost file using
'find / [various_switches]' not realizing that their system was on AFS
so root of the system / actually embraced numerous remote systems
including all of umich.edu, mit.edu and several commercial entities
inter alia.  I was only enlightened when I later tried it myself,
producing reams of error messages and shingling off onto the fog
forever, promising to return just after the heat death of the
universe.

Maybe a find / for all files newer than the time of the crash would
turn up something recognizable if you haven't created a great many
files since then.

FWIW,
- Mike

                                                           /V\