[nSLUG] Serial drivers for Ubuntu 10.04?

Trina Hanson trina.hanson79 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 22:44:31 AST 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 9:34 PM, Bill Davidson <billdavidson at eastlink.ca>wrote:

>  OK, so:
>
> Is the hardware OK?

***   Yes, it works with DOS. :)

> Does the serial port work?

***   As much as I know, yes.

> Is it physically connected to the motherboard (some serial ports are on
> slot-covers and have a cable that plugs into the motherboard)?

***   Yes, it is a laptop.

> Actually that doesn't matter, the kernel would still see serial port even
> if the connector wasn't attached.

Is the serial port enabled in the BIOS?  Are there any custom settings?

***  There is not an option in the Bios to see that. :(

> Is there a serial port driver loaded?

***   Not that I am aware.  I am trying to get one to work. :)

>   What is the output of /sbin/lsmod ?

***  There is a lot of data, however I am not sure what I am looking for.

> Is there a driver module under /lib/modules/<kernelversion>... which looks
> like a serial port driver?

***   The only thing I can find is something called "modules.seriomap".

> Has this serial port ever worked?

***  Yes.  I had a suscessful test within DOS. :)

>   Does it work with other OSes or other distros?

***  See above. :)

>   Have you tried a live CD distro to see if the serial port is recognized?

***  Same issue.

Cheers,
Trina