[nSLUG] Serial drivers for Ubuntu 10.04?

Joel Maxuel j.maxuel at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 14:57:42 AST 2013

With a quick google search of `gpm-mouse-test protocol` I came across
a man page for the program.  Under Description:

"This experimental and incomplete application tries to help in
detecting which protocol does your mouse speak. It is able to detect
MouseMan devices, and to choose between `-t ms' (three-buttons aware)
and `-t bare' old two-buttons-only serial mice."

With this, I would try:

gpm-mouse-test /dev/ttyS0 -t bare

If it accepts that parameter but still does not work, try the other:

gpm-mouse-test /dev/ttyS0 -t ms

If GPM supports more types (which looks like it judging by Mikes
post), you may need to use the GPM daemon for the rest of the
protocols and see what turns up.  For this test, a properly running
GPM will have a mouse pointer in a virtual console (tty1 through tty6)
that can select text (click and drag) and paste those contents by
clicking the middle mouse button (or by mashing the left and right
buttons at the same time if a middle is absent).

Any protocol that does not work, stop the daemon (likely
/etc/init.d/gpm stop) and start it again with the next protocol.

--
Cheers,
Joel Maxuel

 - Ronan Harris / Mark Jackson