[nSLUG] Looking for Linux wireless configurator

Eugene Cormier eugene.cormier at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 11:35:31 AST 2013

And I've even heard tell that there is a ncurses interface brewing in
git!!!

Eugene

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 11:08:10AM -0400, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> On 12/31/2013 10:30 AM, Eugene Cormier wrote:
> > How about Network Manager? It's super easy to use, that's what I put on
> > my Dad's machine. I originally had wicd (so that if I need to mess with
> > stuff over ssh, I had a nice curses interface, but he had some troubles
> > figuring it out: if you want to connect to passworded wireless, wicd
> > doesn't ask for the password, but you have to go into the settings and
> > select wpa1/2 passphrase (out of about 12 other options) and then enter
> > the password, save and then try reconnecting)
> >
> > NetworkManager simply asks for the password when you try to connect and
> > guesses everything else. Dead simple
> >
> > Eugene
> >
> > ps if you're going to use it in a WM/DE you need to autostart nm-applet
> > as well as remembering to start the NetworkManager service on boot
>
> I second this recommendation. Install network-manager-gnome. Also, about
> autostart, check:
>
> /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop
>
> If you have a WM that obeys the OpenDesktop XDG spec (e.g. openbox,
> which is used by LXDE, or xfwm4) it should autostart using this file
> just fine (just so long as your DE isn't excluded in a NotShowIn or
> OnlyShowIn field; if so, edit as needed).
>
> This is what I prefer to use on XFCE4 and LXDE systems. I have found
> nothing better.
>
> Ben

Eugene Cormier
---------------
Full-time Instructor
Acadia University
www.eugenecormier.com
eugenecormier at gmail.com
Office: Denton Hall Rm.235
Office Hours: Monday & Wednesday 10:30-11:30 (or by appointment)
Phone: (902) 585-1329

Statement of Confidentiality
This message (including attachments) may contain confidential or
privileged information intended for a specific individual or
organization. If you have received this communication in error, please
notify the sender immediately. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are not authorized to use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely
on this email, and should promptly delete this email from your entire
computer system.