[nSLUG] Looking for Linux wireless configurator

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Dec 31 11:08:10 AST 2013

On 12/31/2013 10:30 AM, Eugene Cormier wrote:
> How about Network Manager? It's super easy to use, that's what I put on
> my Dad's machine. I originally had wicd (so that if I need to mess with
> stuff over ssh, I had a nice curses interface, but he had some troubles
> figuring it out: if you want to connect to passworded wireless, wicd
> doesn't ask for the password, but you have to go into the settings and
> select wpa1/2 passphrase (out of about 12 other options) and then enter
> the password, save and then try reconnecting)
>
> NetworkManager simply asks for the password when you try to connect and
> guesses everything else. Dead simple
>
> Eugene
>
> ps if you're going to use it in a WM/DE you need to autostart nm-applet
> as well as remembering to start the NetworkManager service on boot

I second this recommendation. Install network-manager-gnome. Also, about
autostart, check:

/etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop

If you have a WM that obeys the OpenDesktop XDG spec (e.g. openbox,
which is used by LXDE, or xfwm4) it should autostart using this file
just fine (just so long as your DE isn't excluded in a NotShowIn or
OnlyShowIn field; if so, edit as needed).

This is what I prefer to use on XFCE4 and LXDE systems. I have found
nothing better.

Ben