[nSLUG] Re: List of laptops known to support Linux?

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Fri Dec 13 03:27:10 AST 2013

Thanks all for the various opinions and pointers.  I'll be reading
over them as I pursue the replacement-laptop project.

Presently I'm trying, off and on, to get a borrowed netbook to run
Slackware.  The install was awkward and didn't work as expected,
albeit with eventual success.  But neither ethernet nor wireless
worked.  I spent a lot of time trying various driver packages and
looking for information before, finally, finding someone who'd worked
on writing the appropriate drivers, could name the relevant chip sets
and let me know that there were no stand-alone drivers for it.  To
make it work I have to get a newer release of Slackware with newer
kernel than the most recent I have and begin the installation again.

I may get there yet.  In the mean time I'm keeping my eye out for an
inexpensive laptop.  But I'd really like to avoid the kind of hassle
described above.

Tnx,
- Mike

                                                           /V\