[nSLUG] List of laptops known to support Linux?

Frank Geitzler frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca
Sun Dec 8 17:44:14 AST 2013

On Sun, 2013-12-08 at 17:15 -0400, Vlado Keselj wrote:
> I would be very interested in that too.  My only advice based on
> experience is: stay away from HP.
>
> Regards,
> Vlado
>

> On Sun, 8 Dec 2013, Mike Spencer wrote:
>

> > Does anybody maintain a list of laptop models known to work well with
> > recent versions of Linux?  Or anything resembling that?
> >
> > I can't think of any unique key words to hand to Google, don't want to
> > see everything that's ever been written about "Linux" & "laptop".
> >
> > And I don't want to buy a used laptop that turns out to need hours of
> > searching for video or datacom chipset drivers, possible download of
> > newer distro, hardcore tweaking etc.

Mike, if you have the opportunity to purchase a used laptop, the vendor
might be willing to let you try a LIVE CD or DVD for whichever distro
you would like to install.  Many of the Linux magazines publish LIVE
DVDs every few months, and some even have a number of distros on the
same DVD.  I mention the published DVDs simply because they normally
publish a reassurance to the user that they will not modify their
system, whereas a vendor unfamiliar with LINUX might not be willing to
trust a downloaded live system.
I have a number of recent DVD releases from several magazines.   Which
distro are you planning to use?
Frank Geitzler