[nSLUG] X freeze, odd error mssg (kernel panic?)

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Wed Aug 28 18:45:24 ADT 2013

Here's an odd one:

   Left unattended, off line, running Slackware 11 + X + twm, box was
   frozen when I returned to it: No response to mouse or keyboard,
   "host unreachable" when attempting telnet from another box.
   Caps Lock and Scroll Lock LEDs were blinking steadily.

   Reboot with Big Red [1] Switch.  The last entries in syslog before
   the reboot was:

    Aug 28 13:11:30 [Last entry for other stuff that worked okay]

    Aug 28 13:53:00 nudel pppd[3235]: Cannot determine ethernet address
                    for proxy ARP

    Aug 28 15:33:27 nudel syslogd: recvfrom UNIX: Sncket opdration on
                    non-socket

    Aug 28 17:50:24 [Reboot, proceeds normally]

Note odd typo made by "UNIX",  Sncket opdration
--------------------------------^-------^------

The Xorg log from the frozen session ends:

    Fatal server error:
    Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

    Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.X.Org for help.
    Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional
         information.

    (WW) I810(0): Successfully set original devices
    (WW) I810(0): Setting the original video mode instead of re

Yes, seems to end in media res at "...of re".

grep doesn't find "Sncket" anywhere in the kernel source. Google
doesn't find any hits on "Sncket opdration".  Various people have the
"Socket operation on non-socket" error when actually attempting socket
connections. Some have the same blinking LEDs at (failed) boot.

Any thoughts on what happened when I wasn't looking?

- Mike

[1] Local values of "red".  Power button on the computer, not
    completely cold boot by powering off at the power bar switch.

                                                           /V\