[nSLUG] [OT] TNX re: Net connectivity problem (Attn. sys admins)

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Tue Apr 30 19:47:49 ADT 2013

Thanks for various pointers re. inaccessible POP3 server when all else
worked well, some of which I included in my last, desperation email to
the sys admin.

The problem is fixed. Suspected but as yet unconfirmed flakey ethernet
card; traffic presently routed around it somehow.

Daniel AJ Sokolov wrote:

> On 2013-04-28 04:12 wrote Mike Spencer:
>
>> POP3 server at MyISP resolves to the same IP address from both
>> dialup accounts.
>
> Maybe that is the problem? Shouldn't it resolve to an internal IP
> address when you dial in with your MyISP, but to a public IP address
> when you dial your OtherISP?

I understand your idea here but I'm too ignorant of best practice and
(possibly countervailing or conflicting) practicalities to say.

If I thought anybody there had time for it, I'd drive over to
Kentville and ask for a 1-on-1, F2F tutorial on noc admin
practicalities.  I doubt the request would be very welcome,
though. :-)

Tnx for advice,
- Mike

                                                           /V\